Why The Obagi Blender is the Best Product in the Nu Derm System
The Obagi blender is probably the single best product in the entire Obagi 6 step nu derm system.
The reason is because it can be combined or "blended" with another powerful skin care product known as retinol to effectively BOOST all of the positive effects of the blender.
Learn why the blender is so helpful for your skin, and more importantly, how and where to get it!
What makes the Obagi Blender so special?
The Obagi blender is probably one of, if not the best product, in the entire Obagi nu derm system.
But why is that?
Don't worry, we are going to talk about using this product by itself (and why you might want to) later on in the post.
But first let's establish some of the basics:
If you don't already know about Obagi products (where have you been?) then you need to know a few things.
Obagi is a skin care line that was created by dermatologists and is meant to be sold by health professionals like dermatologists and plastic surgeons.
This means that the Obagi skin care product line is filled with high quality ingredients AND that these products really work.
The Obagi blender is part of a 6 step series known as the Obagi Nu derm 6 step system.
I've written about this entire system and which of the 6 products you should incorporate into your daily regimen (and which ones you can skip) in this detailed post.
The Obagi blender is actually called Obagi Nu Derm Blend Fx, but has been nicknamed the "Obagi Blender", so don't let that little bit of information confuse you.
It's also the 5th step in the 6 step series, but it can and should be used even if you don't use that entire 6 step system!
The reason that it's nicknamed the blender is because it's meant to be used and "blended" with another very helpful product called "retinol".
The combination of these two ingredients create amazing results for your skin that seriously help reverse the aging process and make your skin look 5-10 years younger.
But more on that later...
Can you use Obagi blender alone?
While Obagi certainly wants you to buy their 6 step system, that doesn't mean that you have to!
Luckily the Obagi blender can be purchased on its own which means you don't have to buy all 6 products just to get the one you want.
But the question remains:
Who should use the Obagi Blender?
- Those with premature signs of aging (wrinkles around the eyes and around the lips)
- Those in their 20's and 30's who want to PREVENT aging
- Those with severe sun damage A.K.A photo damage
- Those with sun spots or "age spots"
- Those who have discoloration in their skin tone from acne, rashes or dermatitis
- Those who want to clear their skin from acne AND improve the texture and quality of their skin
- Those with mature skin who want to look younger
If you fall into any of these categories then using the Obagi blender would stand to be helpful for you.
The main reason to use the blender is if you really want to kick your skin care regimen to the next level.
Because it contains special ingredients that aren't found in common skin care products like Arbutin (which is a natural skin lightener).
The best part about the blender is that it can easily be added to your current regimen.
If you choose this route make sure you use it only at night and make sure it is the LAST product you put on your skin (after you cleanse, tone and moisturize).
Obagi Blender vs Obagi Clear Fx
If you know about the Nu derm system then you might be aware that in the SAME system is another product called Obagi Clear Fx.
This product is like a miniature Obagi blender but doesn't quite work as well.
So the question becomes:
Should I use the Blender or Obagi clear?
Well, here is what I recommend:
In most cases just using the Obagi blender is sufficient UNLESS you have mature skin and you have significant sun damage, photo damage, aged skin or sun spots.
Remember that the blender is stronger than the clear fx, which is why the blender should only be used in the evening.
Obagi clear has similar ingredients but they aren't in the same concentration and this product can be used in the morning and the night.
If you are 50+ years old and want to get serious about your skin, then using the clear and the blender may be your best option.
If you just want to improve your skin regimen and you are in your 20's, 30's or 40's then the blender by itself is probably sufficient.
Obagi clear does contain the natural lightener Arbutin, but it also contains basic anti-oxidants and vitamins designed to cool off the skin in a more natural and softer way.
You can learn more about Obagi clear fx below if you fall into these categories (if not you can skip down to the obagi blender section):
Overview of Nu Derm Clear Fx
Why it works:
- Contains Arbutin (natural skin lightening agent), Vitamin C (read more about the amazing benefits of Vitamin C here), Antioxidants (to fight free radicals and prevent skin damage long term) and Vitamin E (promoting proper skin barrier function)
- Arbutin prevents melanin production and therefore reduces pigment in the skin, Vitamin C helps to reduce hyperpigmentation and inflammation while vitamin E nourishes the skin.
- Special consideration should be given to this formula especially if you have mature skin (those who are more prone to developing sun spots, aging spots and other hyperpigmentation issues)
How to use it:
- Should be used in the am and pm and should be used AFTER cleansing and toning -> using a toner will help increase absorption of Vitamin C + Vitamin E + the antioxidants in this formulation.
- Can be used if you have dry skin, oily skin, acneic skin, mature skin or sensitive skin.
- *Note: Does contain sulfities so if you have a sulfite allergy you should NOT use this product.
Obagi Blender Ingredients
What makes the blender so effective?
Much of this has to do with the ingredients in the product itself.
You can find a list of both the active and inactive ingredients below.
Main & Active ingredients:
- Arbutin - This is a natural skin lightener that is as effective as hydroquinone as evening skin tone but doesn't come with the negative side effects. Arbutin will naturally balance skin colors and skin tone, perfect for people with sun spots, acne or melasma by reducing melanin synthesis in melanocytes.
- Lactic Acid - This alpha hydroxy acid helps to naturally boost the exfoliation process while reducing break outs, acne and also helps reduce the signs of aging. It reduces the aging process by stimulating collagen production in the dermis.
- Vitamin C - This powerful anti oxidant helps reduce inflammation, stimulates collagen production in the dermis and reduces the signs of aging while nourishing the skin.
- Vitamin E - This acts as the base for the product and naturally helps to moisturize the skin, reduce inflammation, keep moisture from escaping your skin and boosts the effectiveness of Vitamin C and other nutrients.
ALL ingredients (including inactive ingredients):
- Cetyl Alcohol
- Tocopheryl acetate
- Lactic acid
- Phenyl trimethicore
- PPG-2 myristyl ether propionate
- Sodium lauryl sulfate
- Stearyl alcohol
- Tocopheryl acetate (Vitamin E)
- Ascorbic acid
- Disodium EDTA
The blender does NOT come with the Retinol and that is what it is designed to be used with (funny how that works).
You can get my recommended retinol product here.
The benefits of using retinol WITH the blender include:
- Boosted effect to anti-aging process
- Boosted effect to skin lightening and balancing skin tone and color
- Boosted effect to reduce acne and sebum production (oil)
- Increased collagen and elastin production in the dermis
How to Get the Best Price for Obagi Blender
One of the problems with Obagi products in the past was that there were many counterfeit and fake products floating around on places like Ebay.
That isn't the case anymore since amazon signed a contract to provide legitimate Obagi products.
The best way, and the cheapest way, to get Obagi products including the Obagi blender, is by purchasing it through amazon.
The only thing you have to make sure it includes is the "professional beauty" tag underneath the price.
I only recommend high quality products, so if you ever see me recommend a product you can rest assured that it IS high quality and legitimate.
You can get the Obagi blender here.
Overview of Nu Derm Blend Fx
Why it works:
- Ingredients include: Arbutin (designed to naturally help brighten your skin), Lactic acid (to help exfoliate and improve skin texture and pore size), Vitamin C & Vitamin E (to help act as anti-oxidants and further improve skin texture)
- This combination helps to naturally brighten your skin while helping to exfoliate the epidermal layer of the skin and provide defense against oxidation and sun damage.
- Intended to be "blended" and mixed together with Obagi retinol which will dramatically reduce the signs of aging and improve your skin (Obagi Retinol products do NOT come in the nu derm system and must be purchased separately).
How to use it:
- The blender should be used in the PM only - this will enhance results and improve absorption (Retinol products should be used in the pm)
- Combine a small amount of blender with Obagi retinol and mix both creams in your hand before applying to your face and neck -> you can also apply the mixture to the back of your hands and upper chest area (anywhere with age spots).
- *Note: Not everyone will need BOTH the clear fx and the blend fx as they both have Arbutin (skin brightening agent). You may benefit from using both of these if you have severe hyperpigmentation issues or difficult to treat melasma, age spots or sun damage.
The obagi blender is my favorite product in the Obagi nu derm system.
It helps naturally balance and brighten your skin, and this effect is multiplied if used with a retinol containing product.
Retinol products have been clinically proven to reduce wrinkles and help reverse the aging process!
But now I want to hear from you...
Have you tried the obagi blender before?
If so, did it work for you? Why or why not?
Leave your comment below and I will respond!