The Best Wrinkle Fillers For Women that Actually Work (2018 Edition)
It IS possible to turn back the clock and reverse the signs of aging.
All it takes is the right knowledge and the right application of certain high quality products (and some other changes) to get it right.
In this guide I will walk you through the best wrinkle fillers of 2017 that actually work to reduce those fine lines, wrinkles, sagging skin and “sun spots”.
Let’s dive in:
Quick NavigationOver the Counter Wrinkle Fillers vs Dermal FillersPROSCONSPROSCONSThe Best Wrinkle Fillers of 2017#1. iS Clinical Youth Complex with Innovase#2. Meaningful Beauty Ultra Lifting and Filling Treatment#3. Obagi Hydrate Luxe Moisture-Rich Cream#4. Obagi Professional-C SerumWrinkle Fillers to AVOIDRoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle FillerOther Strategies to Look YoungerBack to you
Are Wrinkle Fillers Too Good to be True?
It’s something every single one of us will have to deal with at some point in our lives.
But what if we could do something about it?
What if you could SLOW down the aging process and turn back the clock 5, 10 or 15 years?
Thanks to some amazing science and some very high quality products, that dream can now become a reality.
So to answer the question:
Are wrinkle fillers too good to be true?
The answer is definitely a resounding NO.
Wrinkle fillers can actually work, but you have to use the right ones that are both high in quality and contain enough of the active ingredients to help your skin.
To understand how these special creams and fillers can help with your wrinkles we need to understand WHY we have wrinkles in the first place.
And this is where things get interesting…
It’s estimated that 90% of the signs of aging and getting older can be attributed to one thing:
Sun damage (otherwise known as photodamage).
The dermatologists like to refer to it as photodamage so we will too.
Photodamage results in several changes that make your skin look older:
- Loss of subcutaneous tissues and fat which leads to “sagging”
- Breakdown in collagen which leads to uneven texture resulting in wrinkles
- Damage resulting in changes to melanin which causes dark spots or hyperpigmentation in certain areas
- Disordered stratum corneum (top layer of the skin) which is normally well organzied, this changes the “texture” and “quality” of your skin
To illustrate this point I have included the various stages of aging as it relates to sun damage below:
You can clearly see the decline in the subcutaneous tissue, the addition of wrinkles, the change in tissue texture and the alteration in the skin tone as you progress from grade 1 through 8.
What’s even more interesting is that much of this damage can occur simply due to sun damage, not necessarily just from age.
In fact studies have shown that a higher percentage of sun damage will actually make you look older!
This graph easily outlines what happens with chronic sun exposure.
You can see that with just a small amount of sun exposure (in this case about 3-5%) a woman will look 3 years older.
On the flip side, a reduction in sun exposure by 3-5% will make a woman look 3 years YOUNGER.
Now we are talking and this gives us a way to reverse the clock.
If we focus on healing photo damage, reducing sun exposure and by “plumping” up the skin we can create a serum that actually reverses the aging process.
And that’s exactly how these wrinkle fillers work.
They actually reverse sun damage and provide the right nutrients to help regrow your collagen (more on that later).
Is photo damage the only cause of aging?
Not so fast.
There are also many other factors that attribute to that last 10%…
Other factors that lead to rapid aging and wrinkles:
- Vitamin and nutrient deficiencies
- Chronic medical conditions
- Hormone imbalances (and menopause)
- And even some medications
I’ve included these here just to make sure you know about them. Because if you are still smoking, or not taking any hair skin or nails vitamins then you need to get on top of those ASAP.
The wrinkle fillers we are going to talk about definitely work, but they are better if they are used as part of a whole treatment plan that includes a healthy diet, serums, lots of water and some vitamins.
Over the Counter Wrinkle Fillers vs Dermal Fillers
We also need to spend a quick minute talking about dermal fillers and about over the counter wrinkle fillers.
Over the counter wrinkle fillers work by changing the STRUCTURE of your skin.
They help your skin to naturally regrow and reverse the signs of aging by using special ingredients, vitamins and serums.
Dermal fillers, on the other hand, work by simply adding in a collagen like substance straight into certain areas of your face.
They are synthetically created and then injected under the skin to provide immediate results.
Which kind of treatment should you get?
I’m a fan of using the all natural approach because it’s more healthy, but I also understand the need for some people to use the fillers.
It’s also a good idea to consider using BOTH at the same time, because you will get the best bang for your buck and you will get immediate results.
OTC Wrinkle Fillers benefits:
- Help treat the underlying CAUSE of wrinkles and aging
- Are natural and contain natural ingredients
- Can be used long term
- Don’t require a procedure to use
- Will also help nourish the skin and treat other problems like acne
- Take weeks to take effect
- May be expensive to get the right ingredients at the right dose
- Must be used daily for best results
- Some people may not tolerate ingredients (may get a rash, etc.)
Dermal fillers benefits:
- You get Immediate results
- May potentially help you look younger than using serums alone
- Can be combined with serums to achieve LONG TERM and lasting effects
- Not necessarily natural approach
- Will fade over time (usually 6 to 18 months)
- Requires a small procedure that may be painful
- The procedure is expensive
- Results depend on the person doing the procedure
One is not necessarily better than the other.
Because of that make sure you take a long look at the pros and cons and determine which will be best for YOUR body.
If you’ve decided to at least learn more about the serums (great choice!) then continue reading and we will go over which ones ACTUALLY work.
The Best Wrinkle Fillers of 2017
If you want to find a wrinkle filler that works you need to look for some special ingredients.
Because only certain ingredients (and certain volumes) help to reverse the signs of aging and get rid of those wrinkles.
One of the most beneficial anti-aging ingredients is high quality Vitamin C.
Vitamin C in the L-ascorbic acid form at 20% concentration and at a pH of 3.5 has been clinically proven to reduce those wrinkles.
In addition to Vitamin C high quality anti oxidants and anti inflammatory agents (like olive oil extract, Vitamin C + E) can help reduce DNA damage from the sun.
Other products contain specialized galactomannans that have been shown to help your skin absorb and retain moisture to provide a “plump” look.
Right up there in terms of importance is Retinol.
Retinol is a form of Vitamin A (which can be used along with Vitamin C) can has been shown to increase collagen production in the skin and even out skin tones.
As you can see there isn’t a “one-size-fits-all” approach to reducing your wrinkles.
But rest assured that ALL of the products listed below contain the all important ingredients listed above in high enough dosages to help provide the anti-aging look you are searching for.
If you see Professional Beauty or Luxury Beauty you can rest assured that you are getting the REAL deal, not some knock off product.
Now that we have that out of the way, let’s jump into my favorite products:
#1. iS Clinical Youth Complex with Innovase
High quality with studied ingredients and science to back it up
Price is higher than other brands
I personally use this product but do switch between other products on occasion
Who should use it:
- Anyone over the age of 35 who is also noticing subtle changes to their skin like sagging, fine lines, wrinkles or a lack of moisture
- The earlier you start using a product like this the better, so get started BEFORE the wrinkles start to appear!
- White Willow Bark Extract (shown to reduce the signs of aging) also helps to exfoliate the epidermis and reduce pore size
- Copper tripeptide Growth Factor (helps promote skin growth and can visibly help reduce wrinkles if used over time)
- Hyaluronic acid (helps increase moisture)
- Mixed fruit acid extracts to help reduce inflammation and oxidation
How to use it:
Why it works
- Must be applied to the face and neck each day, works best if combined with high quality Vitamin C serum + moisturizer
- Natural anti inflammatory agents help to reduce inflammation while growth factors help regenerate skin and even out collagen – the end result is a reduction in wrinkles over time
If you are looking for a product to apply to your entire face and neck area then use this one:
If you are looking for a product directly for the eyes and “crows feet” then use this product:
I’ve found that woman over the age of 40 tend to do better with this particular brand.
If you are younger than 40, or have very oily skin, then the other preparations listed below will likely serve you better.
Next up is a product from meaningful beauty and endorsed by Cindy Crawford.
I generally tend to avoid products with celebrity endorsements, but if they work they work.
And this product tends to work well for a certain sub group of people.
Younger women under the age of 40 with oily skin.
Reviews for this product are very positive, but like all products you want to make sure you are getting the REAL DEAL!
Most of the poor reviews you see out there come from people who received the fake product.
Another interesting fact is that in a 12-week consumer perception study (not the best study I know) the vast majority of people who used the Ultra lifting and filling treatment experienced several benefits including:
- 93% saw skin that looked significantly firmer, tighter and more lifted
- 96% reported that their skin looked younger visually
- 100% said their skin appeared more luminous and looked more “plump”
While this isn’t necessarily hard data, it’s always helpful to know that products help the majority of people that use them.
It’s also important to realize that simply by increasing moisture in your skin you can also reduce some fine lines and wrinkles.
#2. Meaningful Beauty Ultra Lifting and Filling Treatment
High quality with high quality ingredients
Great price and value for ingredients
Not my favorite but has worked well for my friends
Who should use it:
- I find this product works best for women under 40 with oily skin who are noticing a small amount of winkles/changes to their skin who want to PREVENT further issues form arising
- If you have heavy photodamage then you will need to use a stronger product or combine this with Vitamin C serum
- Microencapsulated melon complex (powerful anti inflammatory agent)
- Hyaluronic acid
- Vitamin C
How to use it:
Why it works
- Can be applied to the face, neck and chest
- Should be used daily in the morning AFTER cleansing (apply to all areas in need)
- Anti inflammatory agents help prevent future sun damage
- Vitamin C helps even skin tone and promote collagen production
- Glycerin helps to promote moisture while Hyaluronic acid helps reduce pore size
As you’ve probably noticed each product has a slightly different design and way to help reduce wrinkles.
This next product isn’t different.
Instead of focusing on regrowth of collagen it promotes an increase in epidermal moisture resulting in more “plump” skin that “fills out” the existing wrinkles.
The benefit to using this kind of approach is that it works VERY quickly and results are seen within a few weeks.
I’ve included it here because the combination of this hydration product plus Professional-C (also by Obagi) is something I used for a long time and it works well.
#3. Obagi Hydrate Luxe Moisture-Rich Cream
Very high quality (Obagi products are used in dermatology & plastic surgery offices)
The price is higher, but in this case you get what you pay for
Can be used with other facial creams and products
Who should use it:
- People with photo damage, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation due to sun damage AND with loose or sagging skin
- Best if used in combination with Vitamin C + other youth serums to help moisturize and hydrate skin
- Mango, Shea and Avocado
How to use it:
Why it works
- Apply a small dab to your face in the evening (use after toner and cleanser)
- If using Vitamin C serum, place this moisturizer on your face before you apply serum
- Hydromanil has been clinically shown to increase the moisture and “plump” up the skin
- Contains galactomannans which improve moisture in the stratum corneum
- Glycerin allows the epidermal skin cells to absorb and retain more water
- Natural ingredients like Mango, Shea and Avocado help reduce inflammation and repair the skin with anti oxidants
Use this product if you want to improve the texture and quality of your entire face:
If you are interested in just the eye area or around your “frown” lines then this product is better:
Last up on the high quality list is Obagi Professional-C Serum.
Vitamin C pretty much HAS to be a part of your skin regimen in some form or another.
Because no other ingredient (well except for Retinol) has been studied as much as Vitamin C and has been proven time and time again to increase collagen, even out skin tones, reduce photo damage by acting as an anti-oxidant and improve the texture of your skin.
This effect is so important I’ve written extensively about how to pick out the best vitamin C serum (including which products to purchase and which to avoid).
You can read the full guide here.
#4. Obagi Professional-C Serum
Contains high concentrations of L-ascorbic acid but no other ingredients
High price, but high quality
Why I Love it
Definitely works but may be better for women older than 40 or women with oily skin
Who should use it:
- People with oily skin
- People with photo damage or extreme sun damage
- People who have done well on other obagi products in the past
- Bullet Point 2
- L-Ascorbic acid (active ingredient)
- prpylene glyccol (inactive)
- Zinc chloride (inactive)
- Calcium hydroxide (inactive)
How to use it:
Why it works
- Apply 5-7 drops directly to your face after cleansing
- Spread evening throughout your face and to your neck line
- Use in the evening
- Make sure product is protected form the sun
- Contains 20% Vitamin C which promotes collagen production and stimulates growth in the skin to even skin tones
The approach you take and which serums you use is largely dependent upon YOUR skin and YOUR goals.
Because this process can be tricky and does require some element of trial and error, I’ve included my personal regimen below.
Just realize that this was the result of lots of trial and error on my part and it fits my needs perfectly (I’m trying to prevent damage from occurring!).
My recommended combination and what I use:
- Obagi luxe cream (to give the skin a plump look)
- iS clinical pro heal (contains vitamin C to reverse sun damage) alternatively you can also use Obagi’s professional C serum if you prefer Obagi products
- iS clinical Active serum (contains retinol which has been clinically proven to reverse fine lines and wrinkles)
- Hair skin and nails Vitamin (my personal favorite)
- At least 1 facial or microneedling or dermaplaning therapy each month
- AND I drink 1 gallon of water EACH day
I never said looking younger was cheap, but if you follow this guide you will at least look 10 years younger than all of the woman you know.
If you have questions about my personal regimen please leave them below 🙂
Wrinkle Fillers to AVOID
Not all wrinkle fillers are created equally.
When it comes to skin care products you generally get what you pay for.
I know it can be tempting to get a cheap
RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Filler
Many of the cheaper products contain low concentrations of active ingredients and cheap fillers that may make your skin react.
I’ve found it’s best to stick to high quality ingredients and brands that tell you EXACTLY what is in their products (and the amounts).
Avoid products that have lots of reviews from giving away the product for free.
Other Strategies to Look Younger
As I mentioned above, you also need to take other steps if you want your skin to look young and healthy.
Believe me when I say that the woman who make your headstop are ALSO doing these things, and they shouldn’t come as a secret.
If you are interesting in looking and FEELING younger make sure you follow these steps as well:
#1. Get enough sleep
One of the best things you can do is get 8 hours of sleep.
Lack of sleep leads to weight gain, more stress and even high blood sugar!
Let your brain and body relax EVERY night and make it a priority. Your skin will thank you.
#2. Drink enough water
Hydration is important for skin texture but also for cleansing your body.
One of the best ways to keep your skin nice and plump is with up to 1 gallon of water each and every day.
Couple this with exercise that builds up a good sweat and your skin will look refreshed every day.
#3. Be smart about sun exposure
We got just done mentioning that sun exposure is responsible for 90% of the aging process, so this one is really important.
But not ALL sun is bad sun.
It’s actually necessary to get some Vitamin D from the sun.
To get the sun you need spend time only in the sun during the hours of Noon to 2pm and only for 10-20 minutes at a time.
Other times of the day you should protect your skin because the suns rays contain more UVA rays which can cause the photodamage that leads to aging.
#4. Eat healthy (whole foods)
Eating whole foods will help increase nutrients in your body and maintain proper hormones.
Eating pizza, dairy, refined carbs and sugar can lead to acne, weight gain and other inflammatory skin conditions like rosacea.
If you want to pick a diet start with the paleo diet and figure out what works best for you from there!
#5. Get your hormones checked and consider using hormones
Hormone imbalances like hypothyroidism, estrogen dominance and PCOS lead to big changes in your skin.
These conditions lead to very difficult to treat hormonal acne that requires more than just topical ingredients.
If you don’t have normal hormone balance in your body then your skin conditions won’t go away, and no amount of serums/creams/lotions will cover up the problem.
Also, one of the best things you can do to prevent the aging process is use normal and healthy amounts of bio identical hormones.
If you are a post menopausal woman you should consider discussing this with your Doctor, because the proper use of Estradiol and progesterone can literally stop the aging clock.
This is how women in their 60’s look like they are in their 40’s – bioidentical hormones is one of the best kept anti aging secrets.
#6. Take Vitamins
I’m talking about more than just hair skin and nails.
Vitamins like Zinc, Vitamin C and Selenium are all required for normal hair growth and for proper skin development.
Make sure your body has enough of these valuable nutrients.
#7. Get high quality skin care products!
Stick to high quality skin care products that you KNOW will work.
Any brand recommended on this blog will fit the bill and is safe to use.
Using low quality products and brands may lead to further damage down the line.
Back to you
The bottom line?
If you want to reduce those wrinkles and have younger looking skin you are going to need to work for it.
Make sure to find a product that contains Vitamin C, Retinol and other moisturizing components like peptides to help your skin.
These products have been clinically shown to reverse the signs of aging by increasing collagen product and by helping your skin retain moisture.
In addition make sure to only purchase high quality products from reputable sources.
Now it’s your turn:
What products are you using to fill in your wrinkles?
What products do you LOVE?
Did any of my recommendations make your list as well?
Leave your comments below!